Work After Graduation

Once you complete your under graduate / graduate studies in Canada, you have many options: 

  • Pursue advanced degreesand continue your study experience in Canada.
  • Return home with a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate as well as work experience which will enhance your employability anywhere in the world as your experience here is highly respected around the world.
  • Get more work experience in Canada and finally qualify to become a Canadian permanent resident. 

Gaining more work experience in Canada after graduation can go a long way towards helping you become a Canadian permanent resident. Qualified students on a Canada study visa or Canada study permit can get Canadian permanent residence under many Federal or Provincial immigration programs without leaving Canada and there are some wonderful options available: 

  • Post-Graduate Work Program: Under this program you can get work permit for upto Three Years if you have successfully completed education from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution.The main requirements to get work permit under this program are:
    • Studied full time in Canada in a program of at least 8 months duration.
    • Graduated from a public post-secondary institution, a private post-secondary institution, or a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
    • Submit an application for a work permit within 90 days after receiving written confirmation of completing a study program or after receiving notification of eligibility to obtain a degree, diploma or certificate.
    • Possess a valid Canada study visa or Canada study permit. 
  • Canadian Experience Class: Under this Federal program, international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution, are allowed to get Canadian permanent residence status without leaving Canada.  The main requirements to get work permit under this program are:
    • You should have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada.
    • Possess minimum 12 months of continuous work experience in Canada under a work visa or study visa.
    • Submit an application while working in Canada or within one year after leaving Canada.
    • Must have proof of a valid language assessment (from a recognized third party agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada).
    • Intend to reside outside the province of Quebec because Quebec has different rules and requirements. 
  • Provincial Nominee Program (PNP): under this program international students who graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to receive nomination by a Canadian province or territory Canadian permanent residence without leaving Canada.The main requirements to get work permit under this program are:
    • The student must intend to reside in the nominating province or territory.
    • Submit an application directly to the province or territory that will assess the provincial nomination program PNP application.
    • Submit a separate application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for Canadian permanent residence.
    • Pass a security and criminal background check and a medical examination.