Family Class Immigration

Canadian citizensand Permanent Residents aged 18 or above can sponsor certain family members to become Canadian permanent residents and live, study and work in Canada. Sponsors are responsible for supporting their sponsored relatives financially when they arrives for specified durations.To be a sponsor:

  • One must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Sponsor and sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits them to provide financial support, if necessary. This agreement also bindssponsored to make every effort to support her/himself.
  • Sponsor is required to provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for minimum three years and to a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

You can sponsor a Spouse, Common Law partner, Conjugal partner, dependent children, parents, grandparents, brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship.

Only Canadian citizens living outside Canada are permitted to sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children without dependent children of their own, who have not been convicted of an offense causing bodily harm, provided that they are able to demonstrate that they will reside in Canada after their sponsored landing. Permanent Residents residing abroad are not permitted to sponsor their family from outside Canada.

Learn more about Family Sponsorship